Friday, 13 September 2013

It’s a time of endings and beginnings

As I write this, Angel Fever has been on the shelves for less than two months. At the same time, I’m busy making headway in a new novel: the first of another big, epic series.

This wasn’t my plan. I’d planned to take a year ‘off’ (well, it’s all relative!), and write a one-off novel that was a bit more light-hearted. But then the idea for the new trilogy came to me out of the blue, and I was smitten. Fortunately, so were my publishers: the first book will be coming out in 2015 with Usborne in the UK. As to what it’s about…well, it hasn’t been announced yet, so I’m staying somewhat mysterious. Let’s just say that while it’s not paranormal, I think fans of the Angel series will really enjoy it, and that it’s got my writing taste-buds tingling VERY hard.

Meanwhile, saying goodbye to Willow, Alex and Seb has been both easier and harder than I expected. Easier, because in terms of my writing-life it’s definitely time to move on. I’ve been writing the Angel series for the last four years; there are other things I want to explore, too. And I feel like I’ve given the characters a fitting ending, which helps – the series ended exactly the way I’d hoped it would (I don’t always have control over these things…just ask my characters!)

And it’s also harder than I thought, because I love Willow, Alex and Seb – along with all the other characters in the series. More than that, I know them inside and out. In any scene I wrote, I knew exactly how everyone would react. Feeling my way into my new series now, I’m often having the sense of, “Wait – who are you people?”

But I’m loving getting to know them.

So…enter Amity. And Collie, and Rafe. And Cora and Harlan. New characters who I’m just now getting to know and starting to fall madly in love with. Especially Amity, my new main character. Most of the new trilogy will be from her point of view, and she’s a very different character from Willow. I think I’m going to love her just as much.

I hope you will, too.

4 comments:

  1. You do realize it's really unfair to keep us in the dark about your new series, right? ;-) It sounds very promising though and I'm sure I'll give it a try! Hopefully I'll like it as much as the Angel series :-)

    Hopefully there will be a time when I can say the same about saying goodbye to a few of my characters. But at this time, they're still jumping around, eager to experience more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, apologies! :) I'll tell everyone more about the new series the moment I can (I'm dying to, actually!). And characters eagerly jumping around is great! Enjoy.

      Delete
  2. I'm going through the same thing with the fourth and final book to my series :) I can't wait to hear more about what you're going to release next though, I'm sure it will be as amazing as Angel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to ur next book bcuz Angel made me fall in love with that book so much that now whenever I am upset or sad or I feel love I just have to think about all the cute talks and moments Alex and Willow spent together.....
    though I have not read angel fever yet :( bcuz it is not yet available in india ....but I am so happy that there is no end after angel fever I will have more of ur awesome fantasies

    ReplyDelete